Sunday, February 5, 2012

Powder Room Progress

We have been spending every spare minute at the house for the last two weeks in anticipation of moving next weekend.  This weekend among a laundry list of other tasks we completed the powder room.

Unfortunately, I did not take a complete picture of the powder room before.  It had green and white striped wallpaper from floor to ceiling. 


Pretty cute pedestal sink but I did not love the off white color.


We replaced the sink with something that had straight lines and was not so fussy.  The new toilet that we installed is handicap toilet.  If you are going to be replacing any toilets in your house I would highly recommend them.  They are taller then standard toilets which makes getting up and down easy.  We added bead board all around as well as crown and base boards.  I found my light fixture at Lowes and I am really happy with how it looks in the room.  Last but not least my dear mother-n-law hung wallpaper right above the bead board.   


The only reason I put wallpaper back up in the powder room was that the walls were in such bad shape and painted with a paint that was literally bubbling up off the wall.  Having never hung wallpaper Jenny my mother-n-law was my go to gal! 
The first thing she did was lay out the paper and make her starting point on the wall.



Next she soaked the wallpaper in warm water and "booked" it.  The booking process is where you fold the wallpaper on top of itself allowing the glue to activate and any shrinkage of the paper to take place.  After booking the paper was ready to place on the wall and before I knew it my powder room was finished!  I love the wallpaper in there and I am so glad I have such a handy family who knows how to do just about anything!

Christopher and Adam put up some new light fixtures.


Almost everyone painted at some point this weekend.  Painting a entire house with crown and base boards is a lot!


Rich's man room got painted Montpelier Olive, Valspar Lowes.  Sorry for the shadowy photo but spot lights are a must when painting.
 

The  fireplace has come along long way!  What was once a shiny black monstrosity is turning into something we are proud to have in our house!


After Rich successfully laid the stone a couple weekends ago he focused his efforts on getting the sheet rock up.


He did such a great job!  I am so glad we decided to DIY this project!  The only thing left to complete is the mantel.  He doesn't know it yet but I have my papaw lined up to help with this ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment