Friday, February 24, 2012

Getting Settled

 After two weeks it is starting to feel like home at Twin Brook.  I have been trying to decorate as I unpack. This method is pretty slow but working well.  

The foyer is complete with the exception of a good rug.  The dresser was mine growing up.  I believe it got painted white around the 4th grade.  I would love to strip it back to its orginal wood finish, but I have enough projects on my plate right now.  I have plans to hang the picture which was a Old Time Pottery find a couple years ago.  Rich brought home the books awhile back.  One of the law firms in his building was getting rid of 100 volumes all of which were published in 1880.  He asked if I wanted any and I said "NO"....  He had to force the 20 volumes that we have on me.  I could shoot myself for not taking the rest of them.... 




This is our make shift kitchen set up.  I am all about using as many paper/plastic products as possible right now.


Here is the main prep area...  I know it would look so much better with a table cloth but we handle so much food here it would have to be some sort of plastic.  I am hoping this set up will only last about 4 more weeks so it will probably stay like this for now. 


The pantry, and yes that is a Easter bunny!  I unpacked him and decided he could go ahead and stay out since spring feels like it is right around the coner with the high for today being 73!

  The blue tape is on the floor to mark how far the cabinets will come out and how big our island can be.


Our tiny card table.  I left our kitchen table at the old house as I was not in love with it.  I have plans for a new table made out of reclaimed wood.


This is the first dinner I cooked in my "kitchen".  I have to say it turned our really well.  I made Chicken Tikka Masala in the crock pot, recipe here , with a side of cranberry green beans, and a loaf of ciabatta.
 ,

Chloe made us a delicious chocolate cake which we have been enjoying all week!

 
My biggest challenge in the make shift kitchen is not having water.  This is how I have to wash dishes.  I feel like a pioneer woman with my one cupboard and long trek to the well... 


One thing that I am stuggling with is what to do for window treatments.  I am not a private person and if it was up to me I would leave the curtains open all the time.  But since we have neighbors I am trying to be considerate.  I currently have curtains from the old house up which I still like but do not like having to pull them closed every night.  I am considering bamboo shades.  They seem like the most cost efficient/stylish option.


Plantation shutters would be ideal!  But $$$


I also like the idea of Roman shades.  For now as my mom said, "it looks like Fort Knox" as I have all my curtains pulled.  Hopefully I will make a decision soon so we can lighten up a bit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment